what does error 404 mean

HomeForumsForum – Publicwhat does error 404 mean

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Thor Thor 4 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

tmh1963
    Participant

Hello everyone
    Who else got error 404 today? I had to log out and back in again to cure it, does anybody else suffer the same

Thor
    Thor
    Keymaster

Depends on what you’re trying to access.
    If you’re trying to access something above your membership level, you’ll get that.

For instance, if a moderator posts something in the moderators forum, it will show in the right hand column as a posting, but if your not a moderator you will get the 404.

That was done so that anonymous browsers, just passing by, checking us out, whatever, can see that there is forum content, but non-members can’t get to the content. It’s an incentive to sign up, or at least intended that way.

If you’re trying to access a stale link, or we actually have an error ( nah, that doesn’t happen, does it ? ) you’ll get that.

If your session has timed out, you’ll get that, and you need to log back in.
    If ATT in their infinite wisdom, randomly change our IP on us, which they do a couple of times a day, since we can’t afford a static IP anymore ( Oh boy, did they jack up the pricing on that !! ) that’s an automatic session time out, unfortunately. Not much we can do about that, but we have tried. If your session cookie is still valid, you shouldn’t notice, but….

There may be a few more reasons that we don’t know about.

Yes I have the hammer,
    And I hammer in the morning.
    I hammer in the evening.
    All over this site.....

The forum ‘Forum – Public’ is closed to new topics and replies.